Another Darwin Award

   You all know about the Darwin Awards - It's an annual honor given
to the person who did the gene pool the biggest service by killing
themselves in the most extraordinarily stupid way
The 1995 winner was the fellow who was killed by a Coke machine which
toppled over on top of him as he was attempting to tip a free soda out
of it.

 In 1996 the winner was an air force sergeant who attached a jet engine
(JATO) unit to his car and crashed into a cliff several hundred feet
above the road.

And now, the 1997 winner:  Larry Waters of Los Angeles-one of the few
Darwin winners to survive his award-winning accomplishment.

	Larry's boyhood dream was to fly.  When he graduated from high school,
he joined the Air Force in hopes of becoming a pilot. Unfortunately, poor
eyesight disqualified him.  When he was finally discharged, he had to
satisfy himself with watching jets fly over his backyard.  One day, Larry,
had a bright idea.  He decided to fly.  He went to the local Army-Navy
surplus store and purchased 45 weather balloons and several tanks of
helium.  The weather balloons, when fully inflated, would measure more than
four feet across.

	Back home, Larry securely strapped the balloons to his sturdy lawn
chair.  He anchored the chair to the bumper of his jeep and inflated the
balloons with the helium. He climbed on for a test while it was still
only a few feet above the ground.

	Satisfied it would work, Larry packed several sandwiches and a six-
pack of Miller Lite, loaded his pellet gun-figuring he could pop a few
balloons when it was time to descend-and went back to the floating
lawn chair.  He tied himself in along with his pellet gun and provisions.
Larry's plan was to lazily float up to a height of about 30 feet above
his back yard after severing the anchor and in a few hours come back
down.  Things didn't quite work out that way.

	When he cut the cord anchoring the lawn chair to his jeep, he didn't
float lazily up to 30 or so feet. Instead  he streaked into the LA sky
as if shot from a cannon.  

	He didn't level of at 30 feet, nor did he level off at 100 feet.
After climbing and climbing, he leveled off at 11,000 feet.  At that height
he couldn't risk shooting any of the balloons, lest he unbalance the load
and really find himself in trouble.  So he stayed there, drifting,
cold and frightened, for more than 14 hours.  Then he really got in trouble.
He found himself drifting into the primary approach corridor of Los
Angeles International Airport.

	A United pilot first spotted Larry.  He radioed the tower and
described passing a guy in a lawn chair with a gun.  Radar
confirmed  the existence of an object floating 11,000 feet above the
airport.  LAX emergency procedures swung into full alert and a helicopter was
dispatched to investigate.  
	LAX is right on the ocean.  Night was falling and the offshore breeze
began to flow.  It carried Larry out to sea with the helicopter in hot

	Several miles out, the helicopter caught up with Larry. Once the crew
determined that Larry was not dangerous, they attempted to close in
for a rescue but the draft from the blades would push Larry away whenever
they neared.  Finally, the helicopter ascended to a position several 
hundred feet above Larry and lowered a rescue line. Larry snagged the 
line and was hauled back to shore.  The difficult maneuver was flawlessly 
executed by the helicopter crew.

	As soon as Larry was hauled to earth, he was arrested by waiting
members of the LAPD for violating LAX airspace.
As he was led away in handcuffs, a reporter dispatched to cover the
daring rescue asked why he had done it.    Larry stopped, turned and
replied nonchalantly, "A man can't just sit around."

Next Joke

Back to Joke Index

Back to Indigo Org